From the November/December 2022 Issue of Psychotherapy Networker Magazine
The best therapeutic tools from across the field of psychotherapy…on us! Practice Tools is a carefully curated collection of therapeutic interventions that are suitable to use with a variety of clients, easy to integrate with other treatment approaches, simple to follow (no hours of training required!), and completely free.
This month’s selection is a double-header from Eve Rodsky’s bestselling book, Fair Play. It’s ideal for helping clients improve communication and equity in their relationships.
Use The “Reflection Activity” to guide clients in understanding:
- Nonverbal communication and how it can be toxic for relationships
- Types of nonverbal communication that can show up in relationships
- How to identify their nonverbal communication patterns
The “Pick-a-Card’ Activity” can help clients discover how the division of labor plays out in their relationship. Using the free digital Fair Play Cards found at fairplaylife.com/the-cards, this activity provides a step-by-step guide to talking through each card. Clients will discover:
- How to break down domestic activities into three stages to fully grasp the labor involved in each task
- How to have direct conversations about household responsibilities
- How to effectively listen to partners as they share the ways they contribute to household responsibilities