Popular Topic - Trauma

Sort by:

The Limits of Talk

Bessel Van der Kolk Wants to Transform the Treatment of Trauma

January/February 2004
For more than 20 years, Bessel van der Kolk has been in the forefront of research in the psychobiology of trauma and in the quest for more effective treatments. Now he's touched off an intense debate about the role of scientific evidence in finding ways to alleviate suffering and the future of the traditional talking cure itself.

The Politics of PTSD

How a Controversial Diagnosis Battled Its Way into the DSM

January/February 2004
hatever the VA's official position, however, by the early '70s, there were vast, underground rumblings about something going round the country—some strange, debilitating constellation of symptoms that seemed to be afflicting tens of thousands of returning Vietnam veterans.

Bringing the War Home

The Challenge of Helping Iraq War Vets

January/February 2007
Will all we've learned about treating combat stress and psychological trauma since Vietnam help us handle the tsunami of mental health problems the Iraq War is stirring up?

Creating a Culture of Healing

Recovering from Trauma in War-Ravaged Gaza

January/February 2007
A psychiatrist who's worked in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Israel leads a team of healthcare professionals into war-ravaged Gaza to see if Western healing methods can be transported into different cultures to help people deal with war-related trauma.

Applying the Brakes

In Trama Treatment, Safety is Essential

January/February 2004
Much as we don't like to admit it publicly, it's an open secret among therapists that the road to recovery from trauma can be fraught with clinical missteps. So my approach to trauma work is rooted in an experience I had when a friend asked me to teach her to drive. Sitting in the passenger seat next to her as she prepared to turn on the ignition, I suddenly panicked. I quickly realized that before I taught her how to make that powerful machine go, I had to make sure that she knew how to put on the brakes. I apply the same principle to therapy, especially trauma therapy. I never help clients call forth traumatic memories unless I and my clients are confident that the flow of their anxiety, emotion, memories, and body sensations can be contained at will.

The End of Innocence

Reconsidering Our Concepts of Victimhood

July/August 2003
In our treatment of survivors over the past two decades, the therapeutic pendulum has swung from complete denial to an overfocus on the wounded inner child. Today, with a clearer view of the neurobiological impact of trauma and the lessons learned from their clinical mistakes, therapists are increasingly wary of bestowing the mantle of victimhood on their clients.
Bonus - Read the entire article FREE!

Case Study

A Cure for the Yips: Brainspotting and Performance Blocks

November/December 2015