Popular Topic - Creativity

Sort by:

Acts of Compulsion

Unmasking the Allure of the Illicit

March/April 2004
If therapy is in some sense a confrontation in which you must come face-to-face with your disowned self, it's a real advantage to choose a therapist who's your polar opposite.

Lessons Well Learned

How to Help Your Clients Hold onto Their Gains

January/February 2004
Difficulty in retaining new insights and skills from session to session and putting them to use is frustrating for therapists and clients alike. Rather than building on last week's insights, we're too often obliged to take one step back to review, remind, and reinforce. Fortunately, some creative memory techniques can reduce the need to repeat ourselves with our clients.

The Beethoven Factor

The People Who Thrive in the Face of Extreme Adversity May Surprise You

January/February 2004
Thrivers are not Pollyannas. They are not blindly optimistic and are far from showing the often irritating feigned cheerfulness that can result from trying to comply with popular psychology's version of positive thinking. Their invincibility derives not just from their discovery of what they are able to do about their problems, but also from their acceptance of what they may never be able to do.

Living on Purpose

The Seeker, the Tennis Coach, and the Next Wave of Therapeutic Practice

September/October 2003
In this postmodern world of infinite choice and incoherent structure, what practical steps should we take to become the self we see shining in our best moments? How can we learn to live in consonance with what we value most? What Really Matters? Such questions have long preoccupied the writer Tony Schwartz, who paid a price in the mid-1980s for failing to live in accord with what he valued most. He was a tennis player and a 35-year-old former New York Times reporter when real estate developer Donald Trump offered him a quarter of a million dollars plus royalties to ghostwrite a book that became a bestseller, The Art of the Deal.

The Psychology of the Sand-Pit

Clinical Lessons from Winnie-the-Pooh

January/February 2003
Despite getting paid to guide them out of their sand pit, we at times succeed only at leading them right back into it. When this happens, it's possible to decide that they somehow "need" their problem, that they're "not ready" to change, or that we lack the skill to help them effectively. Alternatively, we can turn to A. A. Milne for inspiration on how to get unstuck, on how to change the way we're trying to help.

The Practices of Transformation

With Ben and Roz Zander, Breakthroughs Are the Norm

January/February 2002
Evolving out of the coaching practices Roz Zander developed with clients and with Ben Zander over the past 15 years, The Art of Possibility is written as a kind of dialogue between the performing arts and the therapy profession that seeks to meld the creative power of the first and the healing insights of the latter.

Beauty Resurrected

Awakening Wonder in the Consulting Room

January/February 2001
Many walk into the therapist's consulting room exactly at the moment, and because of the moment, that they have been stripped to the core of their being. While not at the physical meeting-point of life and death, they are often at its emotional and spiritual equivalent. One element they seek and are desperate for, one element they usually feel they've lost, is beauty; they present a situation that's cut them off from experiencing beauty. They may not articulate it that way, but that's what's going on.

My Interview with Andre

For Andre Gregory, the Turth, No Matter How Painful, Is Always Funny

January/February 1998
There is something liberating--if a bit unsettling--about being around people like Andre Gregory, for whom, it appears, no subject is too private to be off-limits.

The Silent Tyranny

Secrets Often Oppress Those They Were Meant to Protect

May/June 1993
When I was 46, I developed an obsessive need to delve into the memories of my grandmother's past. Like a grave robber, I began to search compulsively for answers to questions I couldn't yet form. I didn't know what I sought—I only knew that I felt compelled to learn about my family's genealogy. I didn't yet realize that one secret buries another.

Family Matters

Saturdays Lost: Revisiting a Bittersweet Ritual

November/December 2015
A son remembers a distant father and the bittersweet ritual that bonded them.
Page 6 of 11 (102 Magazine Articles)