Popular Topic - Creativity

Sort by:

Beginnings

Embracing the terror of possibility

November/December 2008
Understanding both the terror and innocence of beginnings is the key to discovering how to journey forth into the unknown.

Bookmarks

Blinded by Science: Are There Ways of Knowing That We Refuse to Acknowledge?

January/February 2008
Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism, and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind. A book by a respected researcher argues that telepathy and clairvoyance may be on a continuum with more common traits of intuition and empathy.

The Accidental Therapist

Jay Haley Didn't Set Out to Transform Psychotherapy

November/December 2007
Although he influenced a generation of therapists with his strategic methods, Jay Haley was always more at home as an observer of behavior than as an interviewer.

Family Matters

Boundary Crossing - Balancing professional decorum with human compassion

May/June 2007
How does a therapeutic alliance become more than that?

Family Matters

The Last Word: The difficulties of summing up a lifetime

July/August 2007
Sometimes honesty isn't the best policy.

Family Matters

By the Skin of Our Teeth

January/February 2007
In praise of denial.

The Big Moment

Inspiration Vs. Perpiration in the Therapy Room

November/December 2005
We need Big Moments to move clients out of their ruts, their numbness, and their stuck places. But the Big Moment needs many little moments to make it stick.

The Art of Therapeutic Conversation

November/December 2005

The Poetics of Progress Notes

Using Your Imagination with Tough Cases

November/December 2005
Like many therapists, I know what it's like to dread having to write up case notes after my sessions, and how tempting it is to find ways to put off the task. But through the years, I've discovered that because of the many overlaps between psychotherapy and writing, broadening the definition of what it means to "write up case notes" can actually heighten my awareness of what's happening in my work.

Rediscovering the Mystery

For John O'Donohue, Therapy Is a Journey into the Unknown Self

November/December 2005
As the pressure grows to do even briefer, more technical, symptom-focused, standardized treatments, poet, philosopher, and former priest John O'Donohue believes that therapy should be about awakening the human capacity for divine imagination.
Page 5 of 11 (102 Magazine Articles)