Popular Topic - Parenting

Sort by:

When Three Threatens Two

Must Parenthood Bring Down the Curtain on Romance?

September/October 2006
It takes time—measured in years, not weeks,—for couples to find their bearings again after the birth of a child, and many never do.

See How They Run

When Did Childhood Turn Into a Rat Race?

September/October 2002
Once every decade or so, we therapists awaken from our cultural slumber to see a problem that previously had no name in our clinical lexicon. I have a nomination for the problem of this decade: for many kids, childhood is becoming a rat race of hyperscheduling, overbusyness, and loss of family time.

Discovering Our Children

The Connection Between Anonymity and Rage in Today's Kids

September/October 1999
Over the last 10 years, as these exchanges are becoming increasingly part of everyday family interaction, it has become apparent to me that a tectonic shift about acceptable behavior is taking place in parent-child relationships throughout the country.

The Second Family

A Teen's Peer Group Is a Rich Resource for Family Therapists

May/June 1996
When family therapist Ron Taffel wrote this article in 1996, an explosive upsurge of youth pop culture called into question the very idea that parents must reestablish firm authority over teens. With the advent of smartphones and instant, constant access to peers, this cornerstone of family systems theory has crumbled even further. The central question Taffel asks is even more urgent now: if pop culture reigns, and teens are firmly embedded in a peer-driven “second family,” what role, if any, can parents play in providing guidance to troubled adolescents?
Bonus - Read the entire article FREE!

Good-Bye Paradox, Hello Invariant Prescription

Palazzoli and the Family Game

September/October 1987
After Italian psychiatrist Mara Selvini Palazzoli became celebrated for her work with therapeutic paradox in the 1970s, she stunned the family therapy world with an even more flamboyant intervention—the invariant prescription.
Bonus - Read the entire article FREE!

Cloe Madanes

Behind the One-Way Kaleidoscope

September/October 1986
At the Family Therapy Institute of Washington, DC they don't believe self-knowledge fires the engine of change and insist instead that therapy is really just a process of persuasion. Here, therapy is about metaphor and boldly sweeping clients along in unexpected directions. In fact, a visitor might wonder what on earth the institute's clients tell their friends about the things they're asked to do in the name of "therapy."