Overcoming Resistance in Depression Treatment with David Burns

Depression: NP0048 – Session 1

Do you encounter resistance with your clients during depression treatment? Join David Burns as he helps you develop more effective approaches to therapy that allow you to shorten treatment and intensify the therapist-client alliance.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0048: Depression | Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Overcoming Resistance in Depression Treatment with David Burns

1. Schizophrenia was mention as an example of a brain disease and therefore not really a target for typical psychotherapy. I also wonder about the reality of different biological forms of depression. The idea of an endogenous depression, one that has it’s onset in early childhood. Age of onset is clearly an important factor in assessing mood. I have witnessed several early childhood onset mood disorders. As adults, I wonder if cognitive techniques may be less effective and take second place to medical treatment in such cases?

2. Heather says:

I find myself wondering if some of the initial resistance would shift quicker if there was more emphasis on the feelings before exploring the thoughts within CBT. In my work with both depressed and anxious clients, they seem to have trouble recalling their thoughts due to being overwhelmed by emotions,most often fear. I would appreciate hearing Dr. Burns’ views on this.
    Heather McKechnie

3. andrewws says:

Really fun interview. I think the authenticity piece is essential – how does one apply this kind of technique in a way that’s authentic and non-gimmicky? Each therapist probably needs to come to an individual way with that. On that subject, the idea of doing research on theraPISTS rather than theraPIES and learning from the great thearPISTS – the subject of an article the Networker recently offered – also strikes me as relevant. Finally, I got a great kick out of Burns’s characterization of Erickson as a “very clever person.” The whole Ericksonian way of working to my mind has a lot to do with never fighting resistance but rather using its energy; what Burns is now talking about does seem similar, just it’s more explicit, systematized if you will. Helpful to consider for sure. Thank you!

4. leticia tayabas says:

What a fun way to work, enjoyed the webminar very much, interesting ideas. Hope there will be more about cognitive therapy for couples . Thank you again

5. karena says:

Very interesting webinar. I am curious how this differs from Motivational Interviewing. Also, re: Shizophrenia, there have been cases of shizophrenias healing/resolving, using a community mindfulness approach, a la Windhorse Associates. Dr. Burns seems aware of Buddhist principles, and this is another application of it. Would appreciate comments of both points.

6. montiki says:

What I realized after hearing Burn’s paradoxical approach is that the client must actually feel accepted and loved for who they are… given that the therapist genuinely and authentically has an appreciation for that person, as they are. Burns mentioned really liking these people which comes naturally to someone who truly sees the beauty in all people. This acceptance, which seems unconditional compared to how others in the client’s world respond, disarms defenses and generates a willingness to do the work for self change and greater fulfillment. It’s the love thing. mm

7. 20852DUARTL009 says:

Awe-inspiring webinar! Thank you Rich and Dr. Burns. Accepting the resistance is huge! I think most times, we as therapists, want to praise the positive change and “help” the client feel bad about holding on to the resistance. When in essence, we both need to bring it to the surface and understand the reasons our clients do not want positive outcomes and feel comfortable holding on to the negative thoughts. Indeed this is the paradoxical process to counterracting the resistance!

Dr. Burns – - you are one of my new frontiers! Loved this webcast!

–LAD