Interpersonal Neurobiology in the Consulting Room with Dan Siegel

Neuroscience: NP0032 – Session 1

As a therapist have you been interested in applying neurobiological principles to your practice? Join Dan Siegel as he helps enhance therapeutic effectiveness by showing which mindfulness practices can be used in treatment, define rigidity and chaos in mental organization, and define neural integration.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0032: Why Neuroscience Matters | Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Interpersonal Neurobiology in the Consulting Room with Dan Siegel

1. esavageweeks says:

Thank you! I learned so much, and realize I have so much to learn, and so much I want to learn. Glad it’s possible at age 62.

2. mspmft says:

Thank you both. I’m always moved by Dr. Siegel’s work and appreciate his sharing of it. Although I recognize that I have worked in this way in my best and most successful cases, I feel I’ve done so intuitively rather than with Dr. Siegel’s knowledge base. I hope one day to understand a tenth of what he does!! Big hugs.
    Margaret Perlstein, MFT
    San Rafael, CA

3. amanda.salisbury says:

I really enjoyed this presentation. Thank you for providing such a wonderful case study for me to be able to conceptualize interpersonal neurobiology. I look forward to exploring the website and other materials referenced.
    -Amanda Salisbury, LICSW

4. drpamarmstrong says:

Dr. Siegel, I’ve heard you speak many times, and each time my appreciation increases. You communicate beautifully with us, and with clients, about things we would be hard pressed to understand without your careful study, vivid examples, practicality and humanity (which you share so generously).

I’ve struggled somehow with the wheel of awareness as a static diagram. I would love to see it animated, with different patterns of flow–depending on what is happening within the system. I don’t know if that is possible or even appropriate/relevant, but just wanted to mention it. Thank you, and I plan to affiliate with the Institute now (as I’ve put it off too many times) Pamela Armstrong, Ph.D.

5. sandyslo says:

Thanks so much for sharing Dan. I was surprised to hear you several times misidentify thoughts vs. feelings. I heard you say “I feel that…” followed by a thought. Coming from you, I thought about how ironic this is given the whole context of your work. Any thoughts?

6. kw171 says:

dr. seigel’s approach is interesting. i work with people who are brain damaged or developmentally disabled. i wonder if ipnb can work with that population. great webinar.

7. leslie.laskin says:

This was such an inspiring webinar! What a great model to conceptualize what’s going on with a patient and how to build an informed treatment plan. Dan Siegel’s approach makes psychotherapy in to real science while harnessing the interpersonal mind/body in service of healing. I’m sold!

8. Anne Desmond says:

Heartwarming, inspiring, for my clients and for me, personally and professionally. Gave life and breath to what to date I have only read about in Dan Siegel’s books. Most helpful was your linking your observations and theory to how you addressed these with your patient, the language you used with him.

9. Heather says:

How do I access today’s neuroscience webinair after 1pm?

10. fsmith6510 says:

Thank you Dr. Siegel. This information is very helpful in my practice with children and parents who are dealing with issues of attachment difficulties and trauma. Because psychoeducation has become such an important part of my practice with clients and in increasing compliance and understanding of treatment planning these concepts have become so important for me as a clinician to not only make myself aware of but to be able to understand them in a functional / relational way. Thank you for your explanations and examples, they were extrememly helpful and interesting. I look forward to other trainings of this sort and the rest of the series!

11. sdbailey says:

As a drama therapist and theatre artist, I want to thank Dan for his acknowledgement of the expertise of actors in using body, emotions and mind in their work. In our culture those skills are often discounted by “lay people” who don’t realize how difficult theatre work is. One of the strengths of drama therapy is that it engages the mirror neuron system, the emotions, the gut, and other aspects of embodiment and helps create a state of integration of body, mind, and emotions. Sally Bailey, MFA, MSW, RDT/BCT

12. scallan says:

I am glad to hear the concrete description of Dan’s case. I am a student of his work, devouring his books and the dense ideas and concepts contained therein. I long to integrate the material further into my practice. Thanks to you both for helping me move farther down that integration trail!
    Susan Callan MSW,LISW

13. agoldensohn says:

This was a fascinating session, with Dan Siegel’s material as compelling as always. Kudos to Rich for asking exactly the questions I would have asked! This format works beautifully too–it was fun sitting on the floor of my office and watching the presentation. Thanks!

14. Anthony DeCamello, PhD says:

Dan and Richard,
    Thanks for another round of describing the power of referencing the mind-brain-body-interpersonal network. I’m often struck by how discussing neural systems can facilitate/ accelerate therapy. Sometimes even a general discussion of neuroplasticity alone can bring hope on clients’ faces! What I find most compelling is the metaphorical framework this mind/brain context provides. It can disarm defenses in favor of a new outlook on personal and interpersonal efficacy. I work on Rikers Island with adolescents as a psychologist and crisis manager. To see kids who otherwise are simultaneously locked into a dynamic of bravado and shame, subsequently feel enthusiasm for new perspective and possibility
    is another reason why we continue to do this work. Much thanks again.

15. ahemmendinger says:

What I’m struck with (having clients in their 90′s as well) is the change that also comes
    about because of a unique level of trust and confidence by the client that you, as a therapist, can hold someone’s secrets …just the secret of making the whole self vulnerable, when that hasn’t been done possibly ever, or at least for decades in the individual’s life. I believe as therapist take the whole person in with his/her heart, the client can open their right/left integration because the trust level is so unique.
    You didn’t talk about introducing humour, but I have found that can also deepen the interconnection as well as be a signal of a growing ability of the client to take in other,
    when that has been impaired their entire life.
    Thank you for this presentation.

Anna Hemmendinger, RMFT, Waterloo, Ontario