Neuroscience: NP0032 – Session 2

Do you want to use the insights of Positive Psychology in your practice? Do you want to help clients reshape their brains by overcoming the negativity bias? Join Rick Hanson as he teaches how to help clients identify positive experiences and savor them, and how to assess for resource states.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0032: Why Neuroscience Matters | Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How to Take in the Good: Overcoming the Brain’s Negativity Bias with Rick Hanson

1. Diana Bunday says:

Very fascinating and helpful.
    Diana Bunday

2. lindagraham2 says:

Fabulous insight and teachings into “taking in the good.” Thank you especially for the protocol for reconsolidation, rewiring old pain through new positive experiences. Reconsolidation is the neural mechanism underlying trauma therapies such as EMDR and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, effective long before we understood the mechanisms in the brain underlying their power. Even the deepest, most traumatizing black holes in the psyche can be resolved, so these techniques of taking in the good have a power far beyond the essential simplicity of the technique. Thank you, deeply.
    Linda Graham

3. lubaker says:

I enjoyed this presentation! I run a dual diagnosed group for recovery from early addiction. I call it “Mindful Living” where throughout the week clients are asked to find a “mindful moment”.
    This can be done with anything that is interesting, attractive or unusual. They are asked to focus on it for 15 seconds to give the brain time to notice details they did not notice at first. When they recall it in the group, we comment on the level of detailed observation for direction, distance, time of day, body response, and/or feelings.
    We often recall mindful moments that were shared in the past by self or others. Several people have commented on how this practice makes them feel hopeful that life is not always a struggle.
    We, also, laugh a lot in the group, because laughter increases the feeling of lightness, humbleness (not humiliation), and hope.
    Thank-you, Rick Hanson! I will definitely read your book.

4. M2012 says:

Thank you so much for this session. I think it could have been several hours long to cover the topic. I have just started a course of hypnotherapy training, and so much of Rick’s talk appeared germaine. As always, Rick Hanson was inspiringly clear, providing information and tools that can also be shared with our clients. (I’m a grateful subscriber to his Just One Thing series.) Rich’s questions and comments help increase this experience.
    I’m so glad I purchased this series so I can listen again. (One small concern: I was following the transcript and noticed that there were several typos. One of these, “everyday onks” for “everyday angst,” had me laughing out loud.)

5. jstrachan says:

I sincerely appreciated this session. Rick’s talk was clear (I am a bullet point person or 1,2,3 person too! It helps so much for clarity). I agree, I could have listened longer and plan to check out Rick’s website.

6. kw171 says:

i am in the process of reading budah’s brain and it has been quite wonderful to read. this webcast was wonderful to see. dr. hanson has a simplistic way of explaining things and it was wonderful to watch today. as someone who works with people with brain injuries, i wonder how these techniques work with special populations. anyway, it was a fabulous presentation and i look forward to learning from dr. hanson in the future.

7. cathysmallwood says:

Excellent session! I was fascinated to hear why sadness is triggered by kindness, as it doesn’t logically make sense, yet is often the case. Would be interested in learning more about the brain science behind this reaction. Rick’s suggestions on building up the resources to handle this reaction were quite useful.

8. cfsnew says:

I was very appreciative of the clear and useful presentation. Unbeknownst to many therapists, there is a therapy modality that beautifully and precisely provides the needed antidote to unmet needs and negative history. It’s called Pesso Boyden System Psychomotor, or PBSP (look at PBSP.com for information). It’s a safe, very healing method, that provides what was needed through the agency of corrective figures, especially Ideal Parents. The therapy is experiential and the client forms a new memory of an alternative history. I have seen many examples of this over the years, with deeply moving work leading to transformative results. The developer of this work, Albert Pesso, just received the US Association for Body Therapy Lifetime Achievement Award.