Is Mindfulness Enough: PP0001

Welcome to “Is Mindfulness Enough?” This series will explore the benefits and limitations of both psychotherapy and mindfulness as well as the integration of these two wisdom traditions. In the first session Jack Kornfield will discuss the erroneous belief that prayer and meditation is all that’s needed for personal transformation, talk about how to combine meditation with our daily activities, and describe how to bring the sacred into the practice of therapy.

Learn with Ron Siegel how Eastern mindfulness practices are affecting Western psychotherapy and why this union is clinically significant. Discover how the amalgamation of mindfulness and psychotherapy in America first began, the present state of the movement, and what the future of this integration may be.

Explore RAIN, a simple but powerful technique for directing attention to one’s inner world, with Tara Brach, a leading Western teacher of Buddhism, known for her ability to integrate psychotherapy with meditative and mindfulness practices. Understanding and learning how to implement RAIN into your clinical practice will allow you to help clients discover the thoughts, emotions, and feelings that make up their true inner experiences, and will open the door for deconditioning unconscious patterns.

What do mindfulness practices and clinical hypnosis have in common? Michael Yapko, a clinical psychologist internationally recognized for his work in clinical hypnosis, will expound upon the practical lessons hypnosis may have to teach therapists about the vital role of suggestion in the change process. Explore the similarities between mindfulness and clinical hypnosis, and decide for yourself whether there are clinically significant connections between mindfulness and hypnosis techniques.

During meditation practices, we learn how to observe and calm our disturbing thoughts and feelings. Discover with Richard Schwartz, the founder of the Internal Family Systems model, how to take the next step from paying attention to these distressed parts to healing them.

Explore the inherent joyfulness that becomes available through Buddhism’s rejection of our focus on maximizing pleasure with Mark Epstein, a psychiatrist who integrates Buddhist psychology into his work. Epstein will discuss the joyful and loving energy that Buddhist psychology can bring to the Western therapeutic relationship, as well as the pitfalls of Buddhism in the consulting room. You’ll learn what it means to have Buddhism as a therapeutic attitude.

Sharon Salzberg, a leading spiritual teacher, who’s a pioneer in bringing Eastern meditation practices to the West, will differentiate between kindness as “sweetness” and how it can be used as a spiritual force in daily life and in our practices—especially with those who have hurt us.

A dialogue between Ron Siegel and noted hypotherapist Michael Yapko, will offer contrasting perspectives on the impact of mindfulness practices on therapy today. Siegel will explore the ways in which Eastern mindfulness practices are being integrated into Western psychotherapy, and how this union is affecting both. Yapko will discuss how understanding the role of suggestion can enhance mindfulness as a clinical tool.

Please let us know what you think. If you ever have any technical questions or issues, please feel free to email support@psychotherapynetworker.org.

Posted in CE Comments, PP0001: Is Mindfulness Enough? | Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Is Mindfulness Enough: PP0001

1. squeets says:

Thank you Jack for your wisdom. I am a psychotherapist and I need to do my own work – that’s for sure. That is one of the many nuggets I gained from your talk.

2. caclay says:

Thank you Jack and Rich! It seemed the way Jack shared his rich stories, perspectives on life, views on Buddhist and Western psychology allowed Rich to be more open. It was wonderful to watch the ‘dance’, the interplay between the two of you.

3. mspo26 says:

Thank you for your wisdom. The story about working with the inner city youth touched me at the core. As a mental health counselor intern, I worked in a residential treatment facility for addictions, and the incorporation of mindfulness was one of my greatest tools – for me and for the residents. I still only barely understand how to practice it in my own life, and yet it has been far better than any medication I could take or recommend.

4. mspo26 says:

My previous comment was for Jack. For Ron, I have this to say: As an Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselor, I struggle to find the balance between honoring/exploring/validating my clients’ struggles and stories while gently directing them towards the use of mindfulness to gain wisdom. Your discussion of the basics of mindfulness, and how to incorporate them into therapy was helpful to me. I really loved the question you posed regarding what we do with what we notice. So rarely is it just allowing the feelings, and much more often it is pushing them away or craving more of them. One of the metaphors I love to use with my clients is viewing thoughts and feelings as clouds that we can neither grasp or push away. One of the children I work with said that imagining a car that isn’t speeding or stalling, but going just the right speed works better than thinking of clouds. I love what each being has to add to the universal concept and consciousness of being more aware. Thanks for giving me some more knowledge and understanding of what I consider to be a strong foundational piece in my practice.

5. jarnold says:

Thanks so much to Ron. That was so great an hour of instruction, understanding, and created a lot of further study need for me. What an intelligent, kind, good professional he is. Thanks for the resources.
    jarnold

6. jarnold says:

Its been extremely educational and helpful. I have a client that will hopefully benefit from Tara’s hour with us.
    John Arnold, Merritt Island, Florida

7. Mary Anne Anderson says:

Tara – What you shared about trauma and the need to connect beyond ourselves, while also practicing self-compassion, was true wisdom. Thank you for your insights, many of which I can use with clients in my therapy practice.