The most critical life decision most therapists deal with is helping couples decide whether or not to dissolve a marriage. Nevertheless, few of us have had specific training in assisting an ambivalent couple on the brink of divorce.
What's Covered in A402 To Leave Or To Stay:
- A step-by-step protocol for offering clients a "consultation for decision-making."
- How to help the partner wanting to leave to examine the decision with integrity, while helping the other partner to both maximize the possibility that the marriage will remain intact and, if necessary, prepare for changes if the divorce happens.
- How to clarify your own values regarding marriage and divorce and how they impact your work with couples on the brink of divorce.
3 Audio MP3 Sessions:
Download $47 • CDs $61 (+$5 Shipping)
Add 3 CE Credit Hours: $29
A402 To Leave or to Stay:
Working with Couples on the Brink
- The challenges of working with couples on the brink
- Typical therapist responses
- Values of therapists dealing with divorce decision
- Language of a balanced pro-commitment stance
- Protocol for working with couples
Meet Presenter William Doherty, PhD
William Doherty, Ph.D., is a professor and director of the Marriage and Family Therapy Program at the University of Minnesota and author of 11 books on families and family therapy. Some of his books include Soul Searching, Take Back Your Marriage, and Take Back Your Kids.