With expert Susan Johnson, this course will present the essentials of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, one of the most validated approaches to healing relationships.
What's Covered in A207 Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy:
- How to go beyond skills building and communication techniques to help partners avoid slipping back into old patterns.
- The intricacies of distress as seen through the lens of attachment theory.
- 3 stages of change that lead to more secure attachment.
- How to use the power of emotion and forgiveness to shape new interactions that change the drama between partners.
Get All 6 Audio Sessions Now
Download: $79 • CDs: $102
A207 Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- Introduction to Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- The revolution in CT and EFT
- The goals of EFT
- The empirical status of EFT
- The basics of the EFT model--systemic and experiential
- The nature of emotion
- The EFT Perspective on Love
- The need for a theory of love
- The nature of adult love and attachment
- What attachment theory/research offers the couple therapist
- Attachment theory and the process of change in EFT
- The Process of Change with EFT
- The 3 key tasks of the EFT therapist
- The 9 steps toward a secure bond
- Assessment issues and contraindications
- Clinical case examples
- EFT Interventions
- Changing experience/emotion
- Changing interactions
- Impasses and blocks to change
- Key change events--outline, research, examples
- Relationship Traumas
- The nature and impact of attachment injuries
- The process of injury resolution
- The achievement of forgiveness and reconciliation
- Using EFT with Different Populations
- EFT with the traumatized
- EFT with the depressed
- EFT with violent couples
- EFT in different cultures
- Becoming an EFT therapist
- Synopsis of the course
Meet Presenter Susan Johnson, EdD
Susan Johnson, Ed.D., is professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Ottawa and director of the Ottawa Couple and Family Therapy Clinic. She's the author of The Practice of Emotionally Focused Marital Therapy.