Courtney Armstrong on Using Humor, Playfulness and Innovation to Increase Connection.
Have you ever felt professionally stumped by a client's resistance or by issues that you've never encountered before? And have you wondered where to go for ideas about next steps?
Tap into your own creativity, recommends Courtney Armstrong L.P.C. who trains mental health professionals in creative techniques. She says that drawing on your own reserves of humor, playfulness, and spontaneity will show you alternative ways to connect—ways that speak the client's language and get them curious and un-stuck.
In this video clip from a Bonus Session for our Webcast series Moment by Moment in the Consulting Room
,—Courtney shows us how this works with an example from her own clinical work.
This clip is taken from Courtney Armstrong's session in our challenging cases video course:
Moment By Moment in the Consulting Room
These video demonstrations, combined with analyses by the master clinicians themselves, are designed to bring new insight and clarity of purpose to your clinical work. You’ll learn how to:
- Cultivate spontaneity, curiosity, and excitement in your sessions
- Leverage your personality, creativity, and humor to make your work come more fully alive
- Bring a warm, authoritative presence to therapy without influencing the client too much
- Attune most effectively with clients and use what's most genuine and affirming in the moment
- Incorporate tools and methods from theater, film, poetry, the visual arts, music, and other art forms that bring new inspiration to your sessions
- Go beyond words and intellectualizing to help clients develop a fuller experience in the therapy room
- Help clients access their most creative states of consciousness to solve problems outside your office
Want More Free Stuff?
You can view more free videos here
. Or check out our free articles on creativity
Do you learn by listening?
Check out our audio courses on Challenging Cases
, New Tools & Methods
, and Meet the Leaders
Do you learn by watching?
Check out our current online video courses here
Did you know that when you sign up
to be a member of the Networker community you get free stuff every month?
Challenging Clients & Treatment Populations
mental health professionals
Ask The Experts