Courtney Armstrong on Using Positive Emotional Imagery to Counter Negative Beliefs
Most of us have been trained—at least in part—to appeal to the cognitive mind of our clients.
But, according to Courtney Armstrong— who trains mental health professionals in creative techniques for healing trauma—that’s taking the long way round. Why? Because most client issues are rooted in the emotional brain where memories and attachment schemas are stored, not the cognitive brain.
In this clip, Courtney walks us through an approach that taps directly into the emotional brain’s storehouse of powerful embodied memories. She calls this approach "Improvisational Imagery," illustrating how and why it works with an example from her own clinical work.
Courtney Armstrong is one of the new generation of master clinicians who use creativity and innovation to get clients’ full attention, trigger their curiosity, and kindle their motivation for change. This clip is taken from her session in our creativity video course:
Creativity in the Consulting Room
Bring new inventiveness, power, and inspiration to your clinical work by:
- Discovering how to bring more spontaneity, curiosity, and excitement into your sessions
- Helping clients access their most creative states of consciousness to solve their problems
- Learning to use tools and methods from theater, film, poetry, the visual arts, music, and other art forms
- Mastering techniques that go beyond words to connect with the emotional brain
- Learning from the work of masters like Virginia Satir, Milton Erickson, and Erv Polster
Want More Free Stuff?
You can view more free videos here
. Or check out our free articles on creativity
Do you learn by listening?
Check out our audio courses on Challenging Cases
, New Tools & Methods
, and Meet the Leaders
Do you learn by watching?
Check out our current online video courses here
Did you know that when you sign up
to be a member of the Networker community you get free stuff every month?
creativity in the consulting room
mental health professionals
Ask The Experts
Courtney Armstrong LPC