Ethics in an Age of Informality: Protecting Yourself When Boundaries Blur

Tell Us What You Think | Ask Questions | Get Feedback From Your Peers

Did one or more presenters really move you? Do you have questions about content? How will what you learned change the way you practice? How will you stay within the ethical straight-and-narrow in a world where personal and social boundaries have become so blurry? Ask your colleagues about their experiences.

Join the conversation!

If you ever have any technical questions or issues, please feel free to email support@psychotherapynetworker.org.

Posted in CE Comments, Ethics II Webcast Series | Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Ethics in an Age of Informality: Protecting Yourself When Boundaries Blur

1. margiefreemanlcsw@gmail.com says:

I liked the 3 phrases never to say with a client: “Let’s have sex.” “Just this once.” “Nobody will know.”

It’s refreshing to think in terms of maximizing our positive ethics as opposed to just behaving in a way to avoid a lawsuit.

Re the last question that was posed by Mitch Handelsman, I personally think I would go to a friend before calling an attorney.

2. margiefreemanlcsw@gmail.com says:

I found it interesting that I am not the only one who takes notes during sessions. Some of my clients also take notes, but I am going to consider encouraging clients to take notes, too. Thanks for that idea.

I appreciate the emphasis on self-care in order to be an ethically attuned therapist.

3. Ann Palik says:

Thank you for a very helpful discussion. I appreciated that we primarily provide psychotherapy; we are not our clients’ advocates, attorneys, etc. We are not supposed to provide our clients with $175K, just with psychotherapy.

Re: Dr. Handelsman’s last question, I think I’d call a friend, too, before calling an attorney. I guess that’s a separation in my acculturation……

4. ecappler says:

I’d like to hear thoughts about the impact of social media and texting among practitioners and clients.

5. kathykehoe says:

I enjoyed the dialog between Mitch and Lisa. Good food for thought. Thank you.

6. Lyschert says:

Lynn Chertkov

I found the discussion about therapist style and the ethical issues that arise from the reflecting, psycho-dynamic or analytic approach to be useful. The potential for loss of intention of the therapy and/or disempowerment of the therapist.

7. Candrews says:

I’m not sure that I agree that if a client brings up erotic transference in the closing session that I would suggest another session to process such material. Especially if there is any erotic counter transference on the part of the therapist, which I think there was in that TV clip! I think he could have offered her more hope for healing & more strongly suggest that she work with a female practitioner, perhaps with a more evidence based treatment approach to trauma, if that was the case conceptualization for Mia.

8. apalikmft says:

Just finished watching the interesting interview w/Mary Jo Barrett. I liked the specificity with which she educates clients in first session re: her phone/e-mail/text policies, etc., clients asking her personal questions, and her emphasis on the importance of self-care. Some of the content felt a little “micro-manage-y” to me (dividing session into 3 parts, giving client therapy journal, etc.), but perhaps I operate on the other end of that spectrum; just a different in styles.

9. apalikmft says:

I enjoyed the interview with Rick Reamer; very helpful new awarenesses about digital technology, social media, etc. Most of it seems to come down to “document” and “consult,” as we have been taught in the past; a good way to protect yourself.

10. blytheconway says:

I’m not one for leaving comments but I just needed to say: Mary Jo Barrett, I would pick up and move to Chicago just to work for you! As a therapist who is also as passionate about the great therapy needs of the troubled, trauma-saturated young adolescent offenders of this country, I felt a great surge of energy and alignment with your talk on energy, meditation, nutrition, and fitness as a therapist (my personal work has shown the great need for yoga in adolescent offenders’ lives). You have a great presence about yourself and I will be looking for more of your lectures from now on!!