Ethics II: NP0046 – Session 1

As a therapist are you afraid of crossing that thin perilous boundary between therapy and friendship? Do you worry about how to protect the therapeutic relationship from outside forces such as inappropriate client responses or your bad day? Join Lisa Ferentz as she explores this issue and others that may affect you, your practice, and your clients.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0046: Ethics II | Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Countertransference: Probing the Heart of Our Ethical Dilemmas with Lisa Ferentz

1. wnickel says:

A good review of the issues that can arise out of countertransference and some strategies to apply. A comment that stood out for me during this session was the reminder of the importance of being careful in terns of selecting what items will part of your office be it home or external.
    Thank you.

Wayne

2. barrancosm says:

The webcast was very interesting. There were very clear examples of ethical violations. It s interesting to see the therapist slipping in many ethical quandaries dealing with a very challenging client . There are multiple ethical violations: conflict of interest, dual relationship, difficulty to maintain appropriate balance and focus on the client, inability of the therapist to keep in line his personal emotional challenges. There is a clear role reversal and the client takes the lead of the session. The erotization of the relationship by the patient, leaves the therapist unable to set appropriate boundaries and use the material for the client. Who needs to pay for these sessions? The client does not seem to be getting much.
    Many of her violations let the therapist paralyzed, confused, unable to intervene as a therapist.
    I believe the therapist’s blunt mistakes and ethical violations are not rooted on the theoretical orientation (psychodynamic?) but in clear countertarnsference, the therapist vulnerable emotional state and difficulty to react.
    Very chalelnging session

3. wfabian@msn.com says:

The seminar was very entertaining however it’s a little difficult getting over/through the contrived nature. Although, the actors were very believable and it was good at pointing out problematic areas.

4. Dr. J says:

I enjoyed this seminar very much. Using the clips from the show illustrated the points in a novel and entertaining way. This would make wonderful discussion material for a staff! The clear-cut suggestions – such as (paraphrasing) “stay focused on the client” and “know the goals of the therapy and the session and be purposeful about them” – will help me recognize when I’m off-track and will help me get re-focused.

5. velora says:

Great seminar! I have a home office and have been concerned about patients’ being in my personal space given the lay out of my house. I love “In Treatment” and think it is a wonderful tool for teaching therapists. I will be more conscious about self disclosure and slips into countertransference.

6. jlangt64 says:

Wow – what a helpful session! I really appreciated Lisa’s suggestions about how to turn things back into being “about the client” and the practical tips (about the therapist for no more than 5 seconds). I also appreciated Rich’s comments about recognizing where your treatment approach makes you vulnerable. There was a lot of food for thought provided.

I have a few pages of notes that I wrote while watching the webinar, and can’t wait to take a few minutes to really consolidate everything I noticed.

Thanks!