The Great SSRI Debate with John Preston

Meds: Myths and Realities: NP0035 – Session 2

Do SSRIs and other antidepressants work? What are the controversies involved with prescribing these and do other forms of therapy work better? Join John Preston as we discuss what the latest research tells us about the effectiveness of SSRIs.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0035: Meds: Myths and Realities | Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Great SSRI Debate with John Preston

1. lotus flower says:

Thank you for this topic and the discussion today. It was very helpful and there was new information that will make a difference in the way I evaluate a clients needs.
    F. Hunnicutt LMFT

2. jeanmac says:

Very well articulated; I appreciated his emphasis on careful and caring review of dosage amount, length and compliance taking the med, 4-5 week duration and seeking further means to remedy an anguished hurting client that is not getting relief… and generally taking a broader and multi-disciplinary approach to the healing.

3. leticia tayabas says:

Thank you so much for all the helpful information, I will certainly go to Dr. Preston´s web page.
    Also the help from family and friends in being aware of the relapse of depression is an important tool in the treatment.

4. Heather says:

I greatly enjoyed this lecture. I will visit John’s website and smile whenever I reflect on how he selected the name
    :) .
    Another resource that I find helpful is the Pill Book which lists all different kinds of meds.
    Good questions and great answers!
    Heather McKechnie

5. snyfms says:

Excellent and helpful presentation.

6. Joy Clarke says:

Wow, what a lot in a short time, focussed and valuable. The respect and care for the clients as our primary ethic is palpable. Keeping our knowledge up to date so we can discuss options along various axes makes great sense, and is I find that empowering for myself as a social worker working with clients with depression or biploar.
    I didn’t understand the semantics around effectiveness/efficacy.
    THANKS! Joy

7. mgibson says:

Thank you so much, there was a great deal of really practical and useful information. Emphasizing the importance of the family members’ role was a much-appreciated reminder. This is actually empowering to the family, as well as to the patient, to know that there are truly useful things they can do to help their depressed loved one. I will look up the information on the website; I am sure I will find it helpful to have this specific knowledge readily at hand.