Parenting with the Brain in Mind with Dan Siegel

Parenting Skills: NP0027 – Session 1

Explore with renowned clinician Dan Siegel how applying the latest advances in the neuroscience of child development to clinical practice can have practical implications for parents and families. You’ll discover how therapists can help parents raise calmer, happier children by teaching kids to think and listen before reacting, shifting their emotional states through physical activities, and paying attention to their left brain story-telling.

Posted in CE Comments, NP0027: Parenting Skills | Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Parenting with the Brain in Mind with Dan Siegel

1. eweiss33@verizon.net says:

I think Siegel is doing important, exceptional work and I will definitely buy and read his books. A bit of feedback for today is that I felt he spent too much time speaking in general terms about how innovative his work is–perhaps even promoting his book. It wasn’t until the second half of the hour that we got to the specific substance of his work and to practical information. Going forward I’d appreciate getting to all this earlier in the hour. Nevertheless, his work IS innovative and important. (He could let his work speak for itself on this count.) Thanks for choosing him for this course.

2. Beth says:

Regarding eweiss’s comment, I agree wholeheartedly. I am hoping that this series will give me some hands on interventions in the consulting room with my teens and their families.

3. mgibson says:

I always feel deeply grateful to Dr. Siegel every time I hear him speak or read anything he has written. Thank you once again, Dan Siegel. I work with many troubled children and parents and know that it is vitally important that I learn more of this approach so that I might share these important concepts with them. One aspect I particularly like about this is that it empowers both parent and child–as I believe was said in the session, a “gift that keeps on giving”

4. Suzanne Gamache says:

Thank you for a wonderful webinar. I just loved Dan Siegel’s presentation. I came away from the hour feeling like, “I can do this!” While there’s more for me to understand and put into practice at home(I’m looking into getting the book now), I believe I can use this material easily to help clients. I agree, it’s so practical. Thank you so much.

5. Carol Mc Dermott says:

I look at Dr. Siegel’s field of Interpersonal Neurobiology as a gift to our practice of Psychotherapy. I am grateful to receive the benefit of his experiences both private and professional. He reminded me so clearly about recognizing the chaotic and rigid states of reactions and to “connect before you redirect.” I had a long term client last week throw me for a loop with angry, blaming behavior. Afterward, when I was writing my notes, and addressing my interventions, I was unable to come up with anything positive I had done in a session cut short by her having to go to work. Connecting would have been helpful and the phrase will be a good reminder in the future. Thank you and always grateful to Rich.

6. Schoen59 says:

Instructive and fascinating material! I have been following Dr. Siegel’s work for a couple of years now and soak up anything and everything I can find on neurobiology. In the middle of this webinar I got on Amazon and ordered a couple copies The Whole Brain Child, one for me and one to lend my clients.

Just as helpful as this material was the hopefulness of Dr. Siegel’s comments on a “whole brain world.” It is so easy to get depressed and discouraged by what goes on in the world today, but his comments helped reframe that for me. I am going to have the words “a whole brain world” printed and laminated to hang above my desk – a cognitive reframe for myself that there is real hope for our families, communities and the world by understanding and applying, to ourselves, our clients and our communities, this new research to our day to day experiences!

7. Carla says:

This was very interesting and helpful material. I was particularly interested in the idea of implicit memory and how fears can be handeled by a parent. The initial segment was a little too long but once he got going it was useful and helpful

8. debraolsmor@hotmail.com says:

As a child and family therapist, I have used Dr. Siegel’s work for many years in my practice, and greatly admire him and what he has brought to our field. It truly is “revolutionary.” I often endure roadblocks with parents who want behavioral inventions for their children. They shut-down at the “whole-brain” interventions described in your book. Try as I may to empathetically work with them by honoring their feelngs and needs within their relationships with their children, and also by educating and giving them literature, there is still resistance. Does anyone have tips to “hook” resistant parents?