We suffer from a food angst, a sometimes fatal, sometimes merely fatuous, condition that often turns food into a mortal enemy. Reading Course R124 explores why clients develop eating disorders and what to do about it.
Here's What Reading Course R124, Food Angst in the Consulting Room, Covers:
- How the cultural conflict between self-indulgence and the celebration of being lean affects your clients.
- 4 strategies for using brief therapy with eating disordered clients.
- How to avoid stalemates and power struggles with eating disordered clients.
- The mental harm that the multi-billion diet industry and the "problem" of being fat have on clients.
- An innovative narrative approach with anorexic clients, as used by the Anti-Anorexia League.
3 CE Credits • $39
R124 Food Angst in the Consulting Room Course Readings
Body Politics: The Anti-Anorexia League Turns Patients into Activists by Stephen Madigan
Our Trip to Bountiful: Has Food Become Our Mortal Enemy? by Mary Sykes Wylie
Swords into Plowshares: How to Avoid Power Struggles with Eating-disorder Clients and Their Families by Barbara McFarland
The Diet Trap: Challenging Cultural Norms that Equate Thinness with Mental Health by Laura Fraser