When sexual addiction first appeared as a clinical problem, most therapists thought of it as an oddity--out of their scope of practice, and a problem they should refer out. Increasingly clinicians are seeing this problem in their practices and want to address it, but don't know where to begin.
What's Covered in A909 Sex Addiction 101:
- Protocols for the initial assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of sexual addiction.
- Detailed steps of the treatment process organized around Patrick Carnes's task-centered approach.
- A model of the sequence of steps one would follow in actual practice when helping a patient achieve sexual sobriety.
Get All 4 Audio Sessions Now
Download: $39 • CDs: $56
A909 Sex Addiction 101
- What’s the Problem? Sexual impulse disorders
- Addictive behaviors
- The cycle of addiction
- The role of power and control
- Etiology and Family Dynamics
- The role of family constellations and dynamics
- Early-attachment trauma as a drive for addictive sexual patterns
- The contributions of the addict’s core beliefs
- Completing a clear and specific psycho-social-sexual assessment
- Treatment Recommendations
- Setting clear goals from session to session
- Specific tasks
- Recommended reading
- 12-step resources
- Treatment centers
- Relapse prevention
Meet Presenter Alexandra Katehakis, MFT
Alexandra Katehakis, M.F.T., a certified sex addiction therapist and certified sex therapist specializing in the treatment of sexual addiction, is the founder and clinical director of the Center for Healthy Sex in Los Angeles, California. She’s the author of the forthcoming Erotic Intelligence: Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction from HCI Publications.